The Interview

Documents Needed for Fiancé(e)s

(Should be prepared for EACH family member immigrating with you)

*Please note*:

The Consular Section of the U.S. Embassy in Moscow uses a pre-appointment document screening system. To facilitate the processing of your immigrant visa, please e-mail in advance (at least three business days before the interview) scanned copies of the confirmation page of your completed DS-160 application form, your foreign passport (page with photo), birth certificate, police certificate, and if applicable, divorce certificate, certificate of name change, and military book (page with photo) to In the “Subject” line of the email, please put your case number and write “IV documents for pre-screen”.

Please do not send scanned documents as .zip or .rar files, we do not open such attachments.

Translations: all documents not written in English or Russian must be accompanied by certified translations. The translation must include a statement signed by the translator stating that the translation is accurate and the translator is competent to translate.

In addition, U.S. Embassy Moscow requires that all court/prison records (including those written in Russian) be translated into English.

Before coming for your interview, please read important information available in this pamphlet (PDF 53Kb) . It is also available in the Russian language (PDF 175Kb).

Bring your IV Delivery Confirmation page to arrange delivery of your visa documents.

  1. Form DS-160 (Electronic Visa Application) should be completed online in English. Print the DS-160 confirmation page and bring this page to the interview.
  2. Travel passport: original and a photocopy of the information page with the photo. The passport should be valid at least 60 days beyond the period of visa validity. Fiancé (e) visas are valid for up to 6 months, corresponding with the expiration date of your medical examination results.
  3. Birth certificate: original, photocopy, and English translation, if required.
  4. For those previously married: divorce certificate/death certificate(s) for ALL previous spouses, if applicable: original, photocopy, and English translation, if required.
  5. Military records, if you served in the military (original, photocopy of all pages that contain records, and English translation, if required.)
  6. Applicant (older than 16) is required to submit a police certificate  (original and English translation, if required) issued within the past year in ALL names (including maiden names) as well as ALL dates of birth that they have used.  A Russian police certificate must indicate that the applicant’s name(s) have been checked against the central database of the Russian Ministry of Internal Affairs (MVD). We advise applicants to review the copy of their police certificate to ensure it will not be older than one year on their interview date.  If it will, applicants should acquire new police certificates as soon as possible. If an applicant has lived abroad for more than one year, a police certificate must also be submitted from the country in which he/she lived. For detailed information on how to obtain a police certificate, visit:
  7. Court and Prison Records (original, copy and translation): If you have been convicted of a crime, you must obtain a certified copy of each court record, regardless of the fact that whether you may have benefited subsequently from an amnesty, pardon or other act of clemency.
  8. The results of your medical examination will be delivered directly to the Embassy. The medical exam must be conducted by the Embassy’s panel physician.
  9. TWO COLOR NON-GLOSSY FULL-FACE PHOTOS(50×50 mm) for the visa. The eye level should be between 28mm and 35mm from the bottom. Do not wear hats or glasses when taking the picture. Please visit for more details. (Five additional pictures will be required for the medical examination.)
  10. Evidence of your relationship with the petitioner, such as photographs, letters, e-mails, etc.
  11. Application fee. See For a list of current visa fees, visit
  12. Financial documents from a US citizen petitioner:
    • Copy of original, signed tax returns for the last year (both W-2 and 1040). If copies of tax returns are unavailable, provide transcripts from the IRS.
    • Form I-134 (Affidavit of Support)
    • Bank statements
    • Employment letter