Social Security

The Social Security Administration (SSA) has consolidated its overseas operations into several regional offices that provide a full range of SSA services for U.S. citizens residing outside of the United States.  Effective October 1, 2017, individuals residing in Russia who require social security services or have questions about SSA benefits must contact the SSA Federal Benefits Unit (FBU) located in Warsaw, Poland.

For more information or any questions about the services provided at the FBU in Poland, please read at the webpage. You can also reach them by Online Contact Form, or fax +48 22 5042281, or phone (in urgent cases only) +48225042112, M, Tu, Th 9 am to 12 pm. Effective October 1, 2017 the American Citizen Services (ACS) in Russia cannot accept telephone calls, emails, or walk-in consultations regarding Social Security issues.

For comprehensive information on SSA’s services abroad, please visit SSA’s webpage, “Service Around the World.”

If you are residing in Russia and already receiving SSA benefits payments, there will be no change in the method of distribution of those payments. If you moved permanently to Russia, you should change your address on your Social Security account.

  1. If documents will be used as part of an application for federal, state, or municipal benefits, including Social Security benefits, the ACS in Moscow will continue certifying copies of documents free of charge.  However, it is applicant’s responsibility to forward them to the SSA or FBU.
  2. For applicants 12 years or older, the ACS in Moscow will continue accepting SS-5 applications. The applicant must appear in person. For applicants under 12 years, the ACS in Moscow will stop accepting SS-5 applications. The applicant’ parents must apply directly with FBU Warsaw, Poland.
  3. All first-time applicants who are not U.S. citizens must apply directly with the FBU Warsaw, even if they are under 12 or older.