Damaged or Mutilated Passports

If your passport has been damaged or mutilated, you must follow next steps:

Adults (age 16 and older)

  1. Make an ACS appointment;
  2. Complete DS-11 form online and bring it for the interview;
  3. Bring your damaged/mutilated U.S. Passport;
  4. Bring proof of U.S. citizenship (original and a copy): U.S. Birth Certificate or CRBA;
  5. Bring parent’s poof of identity (original and a copy of front page): valid, government issued ID, e.g. foreign passport or driver’s license, ID card);
  6. Bring one photo;
  7. Pay the appropriate passport services fee.

Children under 16

The presence of the child is required together with both parents to renew passport for an applicant under 16.  If one parent is unable to attend, he/she can give a Statement of Consent.  If your child was under 5 at the time their last passport was issued, present 1-2 photographs per year from when that passport was issued to present, to show how their appearance has changed (family or informal photographs are acceptable).