Apply for CRBA and for the first passport if child was born in Russia.
According to U.S. law, both parents must be present in order to apply for all minors’ U.S. passport services (for all children under age of 16).
If one parent/guardian cannot appear
1. If one parent/guardian cannot appear with the child to apply for the passport, he/she can give a notarized Statement of Consent (permission) by completing Form DS-3053, along with a photocopy of parent/guardian ID at the time of application. The consent along with application must be submitted within three months of notarization.
2. It is also possible to provide the equivalent of the Form DS-3053 in Russian, along with a photocopy of parent/guardian ID at the time of application. The notarized consent must include the following information:
• The full name and Date of Birth of the child;
• Full name, relationship to the child, phone number, postal and email address of the absent parent;
• Clear and unconditional consent of the parent who sings the form;
• Full name of parent/guardian who will accompany minor for passport application.
If one parent/guardian has Sole Legal Authority
If one parent/guardian has Sole Legal Custody, he/she must submit evidence with the application. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation.
• Court order granting you sole legal custody of the child, such as a divorce decree or other
• Court order specifically permitting you to apply solely for your child’s passport;
• Original child’s birth certificate listing you as the only parent;
• An adoption decree listing you as the only parent;
• The judicial declaration of incompetence of the parent that cannot appear in person;
• Original death certificate of the parent.
Special Family Circumstances
If the written consent of the non-applying parent or guardian cannot be obtained, the applying parent or guardian should provide DS-5525 (Statement of Exigent Special Family Circumstances) and must submit evidence with the application. All foreign documents must be accompanied by an English translation.