U.S. Citizen Services

Routine Consular Services

As a result of the Russian government’s forced staff reductions, American Citizen Services are limited in Moscow.  Routine services, including most notarial services, are indefinitely suspended.

We have resumed processing full-validity passports, which arrive in Moscow 4-8 weeks after the passport appointment.  We can also process limited-validity passports for emergency travel, printed on the same day as the appointment.

Schedule an Appointment and Complete Your Passport Application

Minor Passports (Under 16)

Form DS-3053

If you need to notarize a DS-3053 form authorizing issuance of a passport to a minor child, please schedule a regular passport appointment.  All other notarial services remain suspended.

  • Complete a Form DS-3053 (https://eforms.state.gov/Forms/ds3053.pdf) and bring a printed copy to the appointment.  You must sign the statement in front of a notary; do not sign it in advance of your appointment.
  • Bring a photocopy of the front and back of the identification you plan to present.

First-Time Adult (16 and Older) Passports, Passports Issued over 15 Years Ago, or Lost or Stolen Passports

  • Complete a DS-11 passport application via the passport wizard (https://pptform.state.gov/passportwizardmain.aspx) and bring a printed copy to the appointment.
  • Bring your prior U.S. passport (if applicable).
  • Bring your birth certificate, Consular Report of Birth Abroad, or Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship (bring all that apply).
  • Bring government issued identification (driver’s license, prior U.S. passport, Russian passport, military identification, or Certificate of Naturalization or Citizenship).
  • Bring two regulation-compliant passport-sized photos (two inches by two inches) for the applicant (https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/how-apply/photos.html).
  • Bring the application fee of $165.
  • If the applicant’s last U.S. passport was issued when they were less than five years old, they are currently over the age of 16, and they do not have valid government-issued identification, they may need to present series of photos demonstrating age progression.  Please bring a series of age progression photos to establish the physical changes that have occurred since the issuance of the applicant’s prior passport.  These photos should range from the applicant’s age at the time of their prior passport’s issuance to their current age.

Adult Passport Renewal (DS-82)

Consular Reports of Birth Abroad (CRBA) and First-Time Passports for U.S. Citizens Born in Russia

The U.S. Embassy in Moscow is now processing CRBAs along with first-time passports.

Before making an appointment, review the requirements for transmitting citizenship here:


If you believe that your child may have acquired U.S. citizenship, you must select “Report the birth abroad of a child of a U.S. citizen and/or apply for the child’s first passport” when scheduling a passport appointment using the link above. Bring the following to the appointment, in addition to the documents required for a first-time, minor passport. Please bring photocopies of your identification and all civil documents.

  • Applicant’s Russian birth certificate (and translation)
  • Applicant’s parent’s U.S. passport
  • Applicant’s parents’ marriage certificate and prior divorce certificates, if applicable (and translations)
  • U.S. citizen parent’s evidence of physical presence in the States prior to the birth of the child
  • DS-2029 Application for a Consular Report of Birth Abroad, completed but not signed
  • Mother’s prenatal / delivery records / family photos
  • CRBA fees: 100 dollars, payable in rubles or with a U.S. card. Russian cards will not work.