Health Alert – U.S. Mission Russia (December 18, 2020)
Location: Russia, country-wide
Event: Extension of Temporary Stay or Permanent Residency of Foreigners in Russia Until June 15, 2021
On December 15, President Putin signed a decree extending the temporary stay or permanent residency of foreigners and stateless persons in the Russian Federation until June 15, 2021. This decree applies to immigration documents, including visas, residence permits, and migration registration, that have expired or will expire between March 15, 2020, and June 15, 2021. The Russian government has not clarified procedures for handling expiring documents beyond June 15, 2021. The official text of the decree may be found here. (Russian only)
The decree contains additional language limiting the extension to March 15, 2021, for citizens of certain countries. However, per the Ministry of Internal Affairs website, the United States is not included in this list of countries. A further explanation of the presidential decree and the list of countries whose citizens’ visas are only extended until March 15, 2021 is available here. (Russian only)
The decree also contains new language that these extensions do not apply to individuals supporting “terrorist/extremist activity or attempts against public order and public security, including those who participate in an unauthorized meeting, rally, demonstration, march, or picketing.” The Russian government has not clearly defined who would be subject to such designations.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Russia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
Bolshoy Deviatinsky Pereulok No. 8
+7 495 728-5000
Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
- U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
15 Gogol Street
+7 (343) 379-3001
After hours – +7 (917) 569-3549
Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- U.S. Consular Agency Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
Lada Hotel, Suite 210
154 Komsomolskaya Street
+7-4242-42-49-17 (Mondays and Thursdays, 0900-1300)
After hours – +7-914-704-07 62
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.