Location: Russia, countrywide
Event: During the holiday season, security measures in Russia may be heightened due to potential threats posed by European-based transnational terrorist organizations and individuals inspired by extremist ideology. Extremists continue to focus on tourist locations such as Christmas holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, festivals and events, and other soft targets frequented by Westerners.
Actions to Take:
- Exercise additional vigilance at holiday markets, shopping malls, airports, clubs, restaurants, places of worship, transportation hubs, festivals and events, and other locations with large crowds.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Report suspicious activities to law enforcement/security personnel.
- Monitor local media for updates.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +7 495 728-5000
- After Hours Emergency Line: +7 495 728-5000
- Website – S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates