Security Alert – U.S. Embassy Russia, Moscow (March 10, 2022)
Event: On March 9, the Central Bank of Russia announced that owners of foreign currency accounts, including those in U.S. dollars, will be allowed to withdraw no more than a cumulative $10,000 in the foreign currency during a six-month period from March 9 until September 9, 2022. Depositors are permitted to continue using USD or other foreign currency accounts, deposit foreign currency and withdraw any amounts in rubles in excess of $10,000. While the new regulations are in place, banks will not sell foreign currency to the public.
The Department of State’s Travel Advisory level for Russia is at “Level 4: Do Not Travel” due to the potential for harassment and detention of U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, COVID-19 and related entry restrictions, terrorism, limited flights into and out of Russia, and the arbitrary enforcement of local law. U.S. citizens should depart Russia immediately.
Click here for the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
We are updating and providing daily practical travel information for U.S. citizens planning to depart Russia at http://travel.state.gov/departRussia.
Actions to Take:
· U.S. citizens should depart Russia immediately.
· Take steps to obtain and have appropriate funds to cover expenses.
· Avoid large gatherings in public spaces
· Read the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
· Monitor international and local media
· Familiarize yourself with information on what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
· Have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
· Ensure your passport and other travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
· Visit the CDC’s website on Travel and COVID-19.
o U.S. citizens in Russia in need of assistance should contact the Department of State by:
o Calling +1 606 260 4379 (outside the U.S.) or +1 833 741 2777 (from the U.S.); or
o Emailing MoscowACS@state.gov
U.S. citizens may schedule routine consular services at any U.S. embassy or consulate. To locate the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate, please visit this website.