Event: February 24th will mark the one-year anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine. During the week of February 20, leading up to the anniversary on February 24th, rallies and other events are planned throughout Moscow and may occur across Russia. We advise all U.S. citizens to avoid large gatherings. The rights of peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are not consistently protected in Russia. U.S. citizens should avoid all political or social protests and not photograph security personnel at these events. Russian authorities have arrested U.S. citizens who have participated in demonstrations.
Actions To Take:
- Do not travel to Russia. If you reside in Russia, you should make plans to depart Russia.
- If in Russia, carry proper identification, including your U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
- Comply with Russian laws in Russia.
- Review the Department of State’s Russia Travel Advisory.
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates.
- Follow the Bureau of Consular Affairs on Facebook and Twitter.
- Follow U.S. Embassy Moscow on Telegram, VK, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.