U.S. citizens interested in receiving important updates from the Embassy about travel out of Russia, Embassy services, and safety information should enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). STEP enrollees receive direct messages such as those published on the Embassy’s Alerts and Messages page. While the STEP system is directly intended for U.S. citizens abroad, friends and family of U.S. citizens in Russia may also register to receive the same information.
The U.S. Embassy also shares these alerts and messages at a bulletin board located at Garden Ring / Novinsky Boulevard in front of the old U.S. Embassy building and on Embassy social media accounts including Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and VKontakte.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the Department of State’s Travel Advisory level for Russia is at “Level 4: Do Not Travel” and urges U.S. citizens in Russia to depart immediately for reasons including the potential for harassment and detention of U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, COVID-19 and related entry restrictions, terrorism, limited flights into and out of Russia, and the arbitrary enforcement of local law. Click here for the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
Practical travel information for U.S. citizens wishing to depart Russia, updated daily, can be found at travel.state.gov/departRussia.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens should depart Russia immediately.
- Avoid large gatherings in public spaces
- Read the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
- Monitor local and international media
- Familiarize yourself with information on what the U.S. government can and cannot do to assist you in a crisis overseas.
- Have a contingency plan in place that does not rely on U.S. government assistance. Review the Traveler’s Checklist.
- Ensure travel documents are valid and easily accessible.
- Visit the CDC’s website on Travel and COVID-19.
- U.S. citizens in Russia in need of assistance should contact the Department of State by:
- Calling +1 606 260 4379 (outside the U.S.) or +1 833 741 2777 (from the U.S.); or
- Emailing MoscowACS@state.gov
- Alternatively, U.S. citizens may schedule routine consular services at any U.S. embassy or consulate. To locate the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate please visit this website.