(May 6, 2022)
Location: Russia, countrywide
Event: Annual Victory Day celebrations, including the main parade in Red Square, will take place in Moscow through May 9. Local authorities will restrict movement in event areas to facilitate rehearsals for the event. In the past, there have been heightened police presence surrounding these events. Given the ongoing tensions, U.S. citizens should avoid large public gatherings.
Smaller Victory Day events are expected throughout Russia. The embassy may not always be aware of the exact time and place of these events in advance.
Actions to Take:
- U.S. citizens should avoid these public gatherings and festivities.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Carry proper identification at all times, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa
- Review your personal security plan
- Have a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- Telephone: +(7) (495) 728-5577; After hours: +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Website: U.S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
- Telephone: +1 202-501-4444 (overseas) or +1 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.)
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter and Telegram.