Security Alert for U.S. Citizens in Russia
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia (September 27, 2022)
Event: On September 21, the Russian government began a mobilization of its citizens to the armed forces in support of its invasion of Ukraine. Russia may refuse to acknowledge dual nationals’ U.S. citizenship, deny their access to U.S. consular assistance, prevent their departure from Russia, and conscript dual nationals for military service.
Commercial flight options are extremely limited at present and are often unavailable on short notice. Overland routes by car and bus are still open. If you wish to depart Russia, you should make independent arrangements as soon as possible. The U.S. Embassy has severe limitations on its ability to assist U.S. citizens, and conditions, including transportation options, may suddenly become even more limited.
U.S. citizens should not travel to Russia and those residing or travelling in Russia should depart Russia immediately while limited commercial travel options remain. The Department of State provides information on commercial travel on the Information for U.S. Citizens in Russia – Travel Options Out of Russia page on travel.state.gov. This site also provides information on requirements for entering neighboring countries, procedures for travel on expired U.S. passports in some circumstances, and visa requirements for families with American and Russian citizen family members.
We remind U.S. citizens that the right to peaceful assembly and freedom of expression are not guaranteed in Russia. Avoid all political or social protests and do not photograph security personnel at these events. Russian authorities have arrested U.S. citizens who have participated in demonstrations.
Actions To Take:
• Read the Department’s Travel Advisory for Russia.
• Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
• Have a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
• U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
Telephone: +(7) (495) 728-5577; After hours: +(7) (495) 728-5000
Website: U.S. Embassy Moscow
• U.S. Department of State – Consular Affairs
• Telephone: +1 202-501-4444 (overseas) or +1 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.)
• Russia Country Information
• Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates