Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Mission Russia (April 7, 2020)
Location: Russia, country-wide
Event: Departure of Aeroflot Flight and Additional Information on Thursday April 9 Chartered Flights
Departure of Aeroflot Flight: Today’s Aeroflot flight departed Moscow and is currently on the way to New York City. If you previously registered interest with the U.S. Embassy for a chattered flight, but successfully boarded this Aeroflot flight, please let us know as soon as possible at MoscowCharer@state.gov, so that we may make room for other passengers on our manifest.
As recently as last night and this morning, the Russian government and Aeroflot denied the existence of a flight today. U.S. Mission Russia continues to vigorously pursue an explanation for yet another inexplicable, last-minute reversal. As of the time and date of this message, we are unaware of future flights on Aeroflot. If we learn of additional flights, we will notify the U.S. citizen community in Russia.
Special Chartered Flights to the United States: U.S. Mission Russia continues to work on passenger lists for special chartered flights for U.S. citizens and, if space is available, U.S. lawful permanent residents. We are currently finalizing manifests for those that completed promissory notes in-person or online based on the Department of State priority list below. Unfortunately, due to limited availability, we may not be able to board everyone who expressed interest in the flight. We will contact you directly with further instructions.
U.S. law requires that departure assistance to private U.S. citizens or third country nationals be provided on a reimbursable basis to the maximum extent practicable. By taking U.S. government coordinated transport, evacuees are obligated to repay the cost of their transportation. If you are a U.S. citizen interested in these flights, and you have not completed the promissory note, please do so immediately by following this link and then write to MoscowCharter@state.gov. Due to immigration rules at Heathrow airport, registration for Lawful Permanent Residents and other non-U.S. citizens ended at 6:00pm today.
We will prioritize potential passengers in the following order:
- U.S. citizens at higher risk from COVID-19 along with their immediate household family members. Consistent with current CDC guidance, priority will be given to older adults (65 years and older) and people of any age with significant underlying health conditions that place them at higher risk of severe illness if exposed to COVID-19.
- U.S. citizen minors (under 18) and their U.S. citizen parent(s)/legal guardian(s) or one foreign national parent/legal guardian or escort.
- Adult U.S. citizens in need of medical assistance who do not fall into a higher priority group.
- All other U.S. citizens, generally on a first come, first served basis.
- All lawful permanent residents (who do not qualify for a higher priority), generally on a first come, first served basis.
- Other foreign national family members of U.S. citizens.
- Eligible non-U.S. citizens who are seriously ill or injured or whose lives are in imminent peril (but who do not qualify for a higher priority).
- Other eligible persons.
We anticipate that the British Airways-operated chartered flight will depart Moscow from Terminal F of Sheremetyevo Airport on Thursday, April 9, at 5:45 a.m. Passengers may check two bags, with a max weight of 23 kg each. These details are still subject to change.
These flights will include a Moscow to London Heathrow leg, and an onward connecting flight to one of five cities in the USA served by British Airways: Chicago O’Hare (ORD), New York City (JFK), Washington Dulles (IAD), Boston (BOS), and Los Angeles (LAX). British Airways projects these flights will depart Heathrow Airport on the following schedule (local time):
- LAX: Dep: 09:55 a.m., Arr: 1:05 p.m.
- BOS: Dep: 11:15 a.m., Arr: 1:35 p.m.
- ORD: Dep: 12:10 p.m., Arr: 2:50 p.m.
- IAD: Dep: 5:10 p.m., Arr: 8:20 p.m.
- JFK: Dep: 3:20 p.m., Arr: 6:15 p.m.
Note: Seattle is no longer an available destination. Destinations and departure times from Heathrow Airport are subject to further change. It is the responsibility of the traveler to arrange any further onward travel after arrival to the United States. As travelers on this flight will transit through London, they will be subject to United Kingdom border regulations.
Pets will not be permitted on these flights. Please see this link for British Airway’s definition of a service animal. British Airways reserves the right to refuse boarding any animal that does not fit their definition.
All travelers must have a valid travel document to enter the United States.
Continued Communication: Also, please continue to monitor our website and ensure you are enrolled in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). We will issue Health and Travel alerts on a regular basis and email you directly when we have additional information regarding charter flights. In case of emergency, please reach out to us via the following points of contact – Emergency Contact List.
Additional Actions to Take:
-Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
-For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
-Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
-Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
-Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Russia.
-Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
Bolshoy Deviatinsky Pereulok No. 8
+7 495 728-5000
Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
- U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
15 Gogol Street
+7 (343) 379-3001
After hours – +7 (917) 569-3549
Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- U.S. Consular Agency Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
Lada Hotel, Suite 210
154 Komsomolskaya Street
+7-4242-42-49-17 (Mondays and Thursdays, 0900-1300)
After hours – +7-914-704-07 62
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter