US Consul General Thomas M. Leary took part in the unveiling of a monument to the Arctic Convoys of World War II which took place in Arkhangelsk on August 31, 2015, marking the date of the arrival of the first convoy, named “Dervish.” During wartime, 76 polar convoys consisting of more than 1480 vessels made the treacherous voyage to and from the Arctic ports; 78 vessels were sunk, taking the lives of thousands of sailors from the U.S., Great Britain, and Canada.
The monument to the Arctic Convoys of 1941-1945 was installed on the North Dvina embankment in Arkhangelsk. A broad range of guests participated in the unveiling of the monument, including Russian and British veterans, U.S. and British diplomats, as well as Arkhangelsk city and oblast officials.
U.S. Consul General Leary addressed the audience with words of greeting and gratitude to veterans for their hard work and heroism. As part of his remarks, he recalled that his father-in-law and uncle-in-law had also taken part in the Arctic convoys as members of the crew of trade ships delivering weapons and ammunition to the Soviet Union. The U.S. delegation to Arkhangelsk also included representatives from the Defense Attaché Office from the U.S. Embassy in Moscow.
Following the unveiling ceremony on the embankment, guests took part in a wreath-drop ceremony at nearby Solombala in honor of those who were forever lost to the seas in the fight against Nazi Germany.
See the photos of the tour on our Flickr page.