February 26, 2022
There are multiple reports of non-Russian credit and debit cards being declined in Russia. The problem appears to be related to recent sanctions, imposed on Russian banks following the unprovoked and unjustified attack by Russian military forces in Ukraine. U.S. citizens in Russia should be prepared with alternate means of payment should cards be declined.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the Department of State’s Travel Advisory level for Russia is at “Level 4: Do Not Travel.” Click here for the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local and international media for updates.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
- Have a contingency plan that does not rely on U.S. government assistance.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- After hours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates