Location: Russia, country-wide
Event: Nationwide-Holiday and Potential Cancellation of International Flights Departing from the Russian Federation Effective March 27, 2020
The Government of the Russian Federation has called for a nationwide, non-working paid holiday from March 28 to April 5, 2020 in an attempt to slow the spread of COVID-19. Russian officials have announced that grocery stores, pharmacies, and government offices will remain open during this period, but all other enterprises would close. U.S. citizens should be aware that public and private institutions throughout the Russian Federation may be closed or may restrict access in accordance with this decree. This may limit access to goods and services within the country. As the Russian Government implements enhanced measures to reduce spread of COVID-19, travelers should be prepared for additional, more stringent travel restrictions to go into effect with little or no advance notice. U.S. Mission Russia continues to monitor this situation.
We are also aware of reports that upcoming commercial and chartered flights out of Russia may be severely curtailed or cancelled effective March 27, 2020. We continue to monitor the situation. We encourage U.S. citizens who wish to return to the United States to make immediate plans to do so via available commercial airlines.
In the event of cancellations of international flights to and from the Russian Federation, the U.S. Embassy is exploring the possibility of chartering flights. Please note each traveler will be responsible for the costs related to his or her own chartered airfare. Further information about these potential flights will be disseminated through the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP). Please encourage your friends and family members abroad to register.
If you are unable to arrange a commercial flight home to the United States from the Russian Federation, please follow the below steps:
1) Ensure you are enrolled in STEP and that your information is accurate and up to date; AND
2) Send an email to MoscowCharter@state.gov with the following information for each member of your party:
- Full name:
- Passport number:
- Citizenship (only for Legal Permanent Residents of the U.S.):
- Date of birth:
- Email address:
- Phone number:
- Current location in Russia:
- Current medical issues or conditions:
- Expiration date of your Russian visa:
The U.S. Embassy in Moscow and U.S. Consulate General in Yekaterinburg continue to provide citizenship and visa services on an emergency basis. As a reminder, the U.S. Consulate General in Vladivostok has temporarily suspended all operations, and the U.S. Embassy in Moscow and the U.S. Consulate General in Yekaterinburg suspended routine visa processing services on March 18 as part of our efforts to reduce the spread of COVID-19. Until further notice, please visit our website for information on how to request emergency citizenship or visa services at U.S. Embassy Moscow or U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg. U.S. citizens who need urgent assistance, or who have been ordered into quarantine, should write to MoscowACS@state.gov or call +7(495) 728-5000.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Russia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s websiteon the latest travel restrictions to the United States
- U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
Bolshoy Deviatinsky Pereulok No. 8
+7 495 728-5000
Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
- U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
15 Gogol Street
+7 (343) 379-3001
After hours – +7 (917) 569-3549
Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter