Health and Travel Alert – U.S. Mission Russia (April 17, 2020)
Location: Russia, country-wide
Event: Electronic Pass Requirements for Travel to Moscow and Reports of Aeroflot Suspending Flight Operations Through July 2020
Important information for U.S. citizen and legal permanent residents traveling to Moscow in order to depart the Russian Federation via commercial flights:
The Moscow City government implemented an electronic pass system to regulate vehicular travel within and into the city on April 15. The new rules apply to all movements via car, taxi, motorcycle, bicycle, scooter, or any form of public transit. All individuals traveling to or from Moscow airports or railway stations must have a digital pass for the trip. This pass can be applied for via the Moscow City website or text message. Details and instructions on the electronic pass system can be found at the Moscow City electronic pass website (English)/(Russian). The Embassy encourages all travelers to visit the site and read the requirements in full.
Please see the Moscow City government’s website on COVID-19 for additional information. If you live or are visiting a location outside of Moscow, please check with the local government for applicable restrictions and guidelines.
Update on Aeroflot Flights Departing the Russian Federation:
U.S. Mission Russia is aware of media reports that Aeroflot has closed the sale of tickets for international flights through July 2020. We are requesting further information from the Russian government and Aeroflot regarding the future availability of commercial flights departing the Russian Federation. We currently do not have plans to organize additional charter flights.
Over the past two weeks, Aeroflot has operated limited international flights departing Moscow Sheremetyevo Airport (SVO) to New York-JFK and several destinations in Western Europe in order to repatriate Russian citizens from abroad. Previously, U.S. citizens and legal permanent residents have been permitted to purchase tickets for these flights via Aeroflot’s website and the Aeroflot ticketing counter at Terminal F of Sheremetyevo airport. At this time, it is unclear whether these flights will continue and, if so, when they will operate. We urge you to check Aeroflot’s website regularly or contact Aeroflot customer service for the most up to date information. If you learn of an outgoing flight, please alert us at MoscowACS@state.gov so that we may work to confirm and share the information as widely as possible. We will update the U.S. citizen community as we have additional information about commercial airline flights.
Please note that the Embassy is not creating lists of potential passengers, nor are we involved in the selection or ticketing of passengers for Aeroflot flights. We understand that Aeroflot customer service sometimes mistakenly refers customers to the Embassy. Please contact Aeroflot directly to book a seat for these flights.
Additional Actions to Take:
- Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
- For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
- Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
- Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
- Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Russia.
- Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
- U. S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
Bolshoy Deviatinsky Pereulok No. 8
+7 495 728-5000
Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
- U. S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
15 Gogol Street
+7 (343) 379-3001
After hours – +7 (917) 569-3549
Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- U. S. Consular Agency Yuzhno-Sakhalinsk
Lada Hotel, Suite 210
154 Komsomolskaya Street
+7-4242-42-49-17 (Mondays and Thursdays, 0900-1300)
After hours – +7-914-704-07 62
- State Department – Consular Affairs
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive Alerts.