The 2021 Russia Youth Environmental Program application is now open!
The Russian Youth Environmental Program (RYEP) is designed to foster greater understanding between the people of the United States and Russia and provide Russian youth with an international forum to discuss environmental issues. The program focuses on environmental sustainability – which considers how individual, community, corporate, and global practices can better contribute to the health and sustainability of the world. Russian participants learn more about environmental sustainability, gain exposure to successful youth-led environmental and community service projects, and examine the topics of community engagement and citizen participation.
RYEP will bring 38 Russians ages 18-20 to the United States for a four-week summer program consisting of training seminars, interactive group activities, site visits, and community service opportunities*. Participants are matched with environmental organizations to gain hands-on experience and learn from the leaders of the projects. The program includes cultural activities and a two-week homestay so that the participants can learn about the culture and everyday life of the American people.
RYEP covers the participant costs, including international travel, ground transportation, lodging and meals in the U.S.
Application for participation in RYEP is open to candidates who meet the following requirements:
- 18 – 20 years old (applicants must be 18 years of age by June 1, 2021);
- A citizen of the Russian Federation;
- Residing in Russia at the time of this application process and through the end of 2021;
- Involved in environmental projects in the local community and willing to participate in or implement ecological community projects upon returning to Russia;
- Proficient in spoken and written English;
- Eligible to receive a U.S. J-1 exchange visitor visa;
- Available to travel to the United States for 4 weeks between June-September 2021;
- Willing to live with a host family in the United States.
- Committed to returning to Russia immediately after completion of the program.
For more information and to access the application form, please visit: https://ryep.online
Application deadline: March 11, 2021 (23:59 Moscow time)
*Please note that travel to and around the United States in the summer of 2021 is dependent on the situation surrounding the COVID-19 pandemic and travel restrictions.