- Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation Small Grants Opportunity ($10,000-$200,000 per project)Call for Proposals: The window to apply for the 2020 Ambassador’s Fund for Cultural Preservation is now open. The application deadline is December 8, 2019.The Fund was established by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs in 2001 to help countries preserve their cultural heritage and to demonstrate U.S. respect for different cultures around the world. The minimum amount for Individual Awards is US $10,000 per project. The maximum amount for Individual Awards is $200,000 per project. In FY 2016, awards ranged from US $21,400 to US $140,000. Please note that this program is separate from the AFCP large grants process.
Program Objectives: The Embassy and ECA’s Cultural Heritage Center request proposals for funding in Fiscal Year (FY) 2020 for projects to preserve cultural heritage in Russia through the U.S. Ambassadors Fund for Cultural Preservation (AFCP). The deadline for submitting a proposal in English is midnight Sunday, December 8, 2019.
Minimum Amount of Individual Awards: US $10,000 per project. Maximum Amount of Individual Awards: US $200,000 per project.
Proposals may be submitted targeting the following criteria:
- CULTURAL SITES—such as, but not limited to, historic buildings and archaeological sites;
- CULTURAL OBJECTS AND COLLECTIONS from a museum, site, or similar institution—that include, but are not limited to, archaeological and ethnographic objects, paintings, sculpture, manuscripts, and general museum conservation needs; and,
- FORMS OF TRADITIONAL CULTURAL EXPRESSION—such as traditional music, indigenous languages, and crafts.
Funding Priorities — General
AFCP will recommend for funding the proposals that include project activities in adherence to the following guidelines and to international standards for the preservation of cultural heritage. These activities may include:
- CULTURAL SITES: conservation of an ancient or historic building, preservation of an archaeological site, or documentation of cultural sites in a region for preservation purposes.
- CULTURAL OBJECTS AND COLLECTIONS: conservation treatment for an object or collection of objects; needs assessment of a collection with respect to its condition and strategies for improving its state of conservation; inventory of a collection for conservation and protection purposes; the creation of safe environments for storage or display of collections; or specialized training in the care and preservation of collections.
- FORMS OF TRADITIONAL CULTURAL EXPRESSION: documentation and audiovisual recording of traditional music and dance forms for broad dissemination as the means of teaching and further preserving them, or support for training in the preservation of traditional applied arts or crafts in danger of extinction.
To apply, please refer to the following documents and the additional information below.
All application materials must be submitted to AFCPRussia@state.gov by midnight Sunday, December 8, 2019.
For more information about the AFCP Program: https://eca.state.gov/cultural-heritage-center/ambassadors-fund-cultural-preservation
For information on previous awards: http://exchanges.state.gov/heritage/afcp.html
For more information about proposals in Russia, please contact AFCPRussia@state.gov.