Location: Moscow and Yekaterinburg, and other cities throughout Russia
Event: Various organizations are planning to hold unauthorized protests, throughout Russia on May 5 and May 6, 2018. According to media reports, the following events are planned:
Saturday, May 5th
- Moscow — An unapproved opposition march is scheduled to take place along Tverskaya Street (from Belorusskaya Square to Okhotny Ryad).
- Yekaterinburg– An unauthorized opposition march is scheduled to take place at Truda/ “Labor Square” Intersection: Lenin Avenue and Pushkina Street) from 3:00 pm to 7:00 pm.
Sunday, May 6th
- Moscow — An unapproved opposition protest is scheduled to take place at Revolution Square.
U.S. citizens should be prepared for:
- Large crowds
- Disruptions to public transportation services;
- Traffic delays due to street closures;
- Overt police presence
Actions To Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations. Mass arrests of bystanders have occurred at past demonstrations.
- Carry your passport or another official form of identification at all times, Russian police officers have the right to conduct identification checks at any time
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- Afterhours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates