Event: Media sources indicate that demonstrators are gathering tonight in central Moscow following the sentencing of Alexey Navalny. The location of the demonstration may move, and streets may be closed in the surrounding area. A sizeable police presence is expected. There may be similar unauthorized demonstrations in other cities.
U.S. citizens should avoid this demonstration and any related activities. Recent, unauthorized demonstrations have seen a heavy police presence and a large number of arrests.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the area.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- Afterhours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates