Location: Throughout Russia
Event: Various organizations are planning to hold rallies, marches, protests, and parades throughout Russia starting on May 1st through May 9th. According to media reports, the following events are planned:
Tuesday, May 1st (May Day)
- Moscow – Organized trade unions have five approved rallies scheduled to take place in Moscow from 1100 to 1500 hours, at Kaluzhskaya Square, Bolshaya Yakimanka, Bolshaya Polyanka, Mokhovaya, Maly and Bolshoi Kamenny Most bridges, Okhotny Ryad, and Theater Square.
- Vladivostok – The communist party will hold a protest march and rally in the Central Square. The march will begin at the Dalzavod bus stop.
Saturday, May 5th
- Moscow — An unapproved opposition march is scheduled to take place along Tverskaya Street (from Belorusskaya Square to Okhotny Ryad).
Sunday, May 6th
- Moscow — An unapproved opposition protest is scheduled to take place at Revolution Square.
May 7th (Inauguration Day)_
- Moscow — The Presidential Inauguration will take place in the Kremlin.
Victory Day (May 9th) Parade and Rehearsals
Petersburg — A large military parade will take place on Palace Square
- Yekaterinburg — A military parade will commence at 10:00am along Lenina Street – from the intersection of Moskovskaya, and up to K.Libkhnekhta Streets. Expect road closures, crowds, and police presence throughout central Yekaterinburg all day and up to 100,000 participants. Fireworks are expected upon conclusion, at 10:30pm.
- Moscow — A large military parade will take place in Moscow. Additionally, dress rehearsals for the parade began this week and will continue to impact central Moscow until the early morning hours of May 10th. Traffic will be restricted along Tverskaya Street and the surrounding areas on the evening hours of April 26th, May 3rd, May 6th, and all day on May 9th. Red Square and the Kremlin embankment will also be closed at night on April 26th, May 3rd, and May 6th. Additional street closures will include Novinsky Boulevard and Novy Arbat on days that the heavy vehicles are being staged.
- Vladivostok — A military parade will take place beginning at 10:00 am at the intersection of Aleutskaya and Svetlanskaya streets.
U.S. citizens should be prepared for:
- Large crowds
- Disruptions to public transportation services;
- Traffic delays due to street closures;
- Overt police presence
Actions To Take:
- Avoid the areas of the demonstrations. Mass arrests of bystanders have occurred at past demonstrations.
- Carry your passport or another official form of identification at all times, Russian police officers have the right to conduct identification checks at any time
- Exercise caution if unexpectedly in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests.
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Keep a low profile.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates