Location: Throughout Russia
Event: According to media sources, mass anti-war demonstrations will continue particularly on weekends in several cities throughout Russia, specifically at central squares in Moscow and St. Petersburg. Thousands of people have been detained in previous anti-war protests across Russia in recent weeks. Russian authorities prohibit such demonstrations; there are reports of widespread arrests of demonstrators. U.S. citizens are reminded that even non-participating bystanders can draw scrutiny from security forces and have been detained. Given the substantial police presence and mass arrests, U.S. citizens should avoid demonstrations and any demonstration-related activities.
The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens that the Department of State’s Travel Advisory level for Russia is at “Level 4: Do Not Travel” due to the potential for harassment and detention of U.S. citizens by Russian government security officials, the Embassy’s limited ability to assist U.S. citizens in Russia, COVID-19 and related entry restrictions, terrorism, limited flights into and out of Russia, and the arbitrary enforcement of local law. Russian security services have arrested U.S. citizens on spurious charges, denied them fair and transparent treatment, and have convicted them in secret trials and/or without presenting credible evidence. Russian officials may unreasonably delay U.S. consular assistance to detained U.S. citizens. U.S. citizens should depart Russia immediately.
Click here for the full text of the Travel Advisory for Russia.
Actions to Take
- Monitor local and international media for updates.
- Avoid the area near demonstrations.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
- U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
+(7) (495) 728-5577
After hours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
- State Department – Consular Affairs
+1 202-501-4444 (overseas) or +1 888-407-4747 (from the U.S.)
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter