Location: Moscow, Russia – Strastnoy Boulevard to Academician Sakharov Avenue, starting at 13:00.
Event: On Saturday, February 29, there will be an authorized march in memory of Russian politician Boris Nemtsov. The march is scheduled to take place from 13:00 to 16:00, with several thousand expected participants. Police and media presence are expected. U.S. citizens should avoid the march and immediate surrounding areas beginning at 12:00 and for the remainder of the day.
In addition, there is the potential for other authorized and unauthorized demonstrations in the future. The Embassy may not always be aware of the exact time and place of these events in advance. Given the likely substantial police presence and possible dispersal of marchers into other areas in the city center, U.S. citizens should avoid any large public gatherings, marches, or any demonstration-related activities.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the area.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- Afterhours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – U.S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates