Location: Moscow, Russia – Academician Sakharov Prospect (Russian: Проспект Академика Сахарова), near the Garden Ring Road, then towards the city center.
Event: On Saturday, August 10, protesters plan to gather for an authorized political demonstration at Sakharov Prospect, near the Garden Ring Road, beginning at 1400 hours. After the rally, some protesters indicated plans to embark on unauthorized demonstration marches throughout Moscow, likely towards the city center. Previous recent demonstrations resulted in over one thousand arrests, and there were eyewitness accounts of excessive use of force against protesters. There were also reports that innocent bystanders were detained, and that cellular voice and data services were suppressed near protest areas.
Given the size of the protest, unknown route or routes of protesters, substantial police presence, and past accounts of excessive use of force by law enforcement, U.S. citizens should avoid the demonstration and any demonstration-related activities, including marches that may take place within and along the Garden Ring Road.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the area.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- Afterhours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
Russia Country Information
Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter