Location: Moscow, Russia – Academician Sakharov Prospect (Russian: Проспект Академика Сахарова), near the Garden Ring Road, starting at 11:00, and possible other single-person pickets at various locations along the Boulevard Ring Road around 14:00.
Event: On Saturday, August 17, protesters plan to gather for an authorized political demonstration at Sakharov Prospect, near the Garden Ring Road, beginning at 11:00. Single-person pickets are also possible around 14:00 at various locations along the Boulevard Ring Road. Demonstrations over the past weeks resulted in mass arrests, and there were eyewitness accounts of excessive use of force against protesters. There were also reports that authorities detained innocent bystanders, and that cellular voice and data services were suppressed near protest areas.
There is the potential for both authorized and unauthorized demonstrations leading up to Russia’s national election day on September 8. Given the potential for substantial police presence and accounts of excessive use of force by law enforcement, U.S. citizens should avoid these demonstrations and any demonstration-related activities.
Actions to Take:
- Monitor local media for updates.
- Avoid the area.
- Avoid crowds.
- Avoid demonstrations.
- Notify friends and family of your safety.
- Be aware of your surroundings.
- Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists/Westerners.
- Review your personal security plans.
- Carry proper identification, including a U.S. passport with a current Russian visa.
U.S. Embassy Moscow, Russia
- +(7) (495) 728-5577
- Afterhours – +(7) (495) 728-5000
- Website – S. Embassy Moscow
U.S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
- +7 (343) 379-3001
- Afterhours – +7 (917) 569-3549
- Website – S. Consulate General Yekaterinburg
U.S. Consulate General Vladivostok
- +7 (423) 230-0070
- Afterhours – +7 (914) 791-0067
- Website – S. Consulate General Vladivostok
State Department – Consular Affairs
- 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Russia Country Information
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
Follow us on Facebook and Twitter